Database - Progress Reports
"It's easier to wash a cat than it is to think about it."
Most of the following is obsolete so long as CCLCS continues to use an online grading system such as JupiterGrades.
Defining: Each Progress Report (PR) must have a Subject, Student, and School Year. PRs will generally have a Course ID, Grade, and Narrative for one or more terms.
Managing: PRs are managed by clicking 'Progress Reports' from the Lighthouse Data Menu (generally available from the Dock or Apple Menu, or from the Main Menu of Courses. Course IDs will typically be assigned to pre-created PRs so that teaching staff can focus on editing.
From Progress Reports: Main Menu, you can either:
Find all of your PRs (for the current year) automatically, or...
Enter criteria to limit your search (e.g. subject, grade, course, etc...).
Finding usually defaults to the previous term, and always defaults to the current school year.
Additional instructions are available on the 'Find' screen.
Once you 'Go get 'em', you'll be in List View.
Sorting PRs (from List View)
In List View, any of the underlined column headings can be clicked to sort on that field ('Grp' [Group] and Course ID are especially helpful).
Clicking the purple 'O' button will omit a PR from the list (it's hidden, not deleted).
From List View, click the green 'E' button to allow...
Note: you cannot edit a student's PR term that you don't teach them (if a student is assigned to the wrong teacher or switches teachers, the original teacher must go to that PR and CLEAR the Course ID [above the list of courses at left], thus allowing another teacher to enter their own Course ID). But you can VIEW any student's PR by clicking on their name in List View.
- The 'Edit Term' screen defaults to the appropriate term for the time of year (to edit another term - subject to the note above - click a green 'Edit' or 'View all terms' button on the left, near the desired term).
The primary editable fields (all yellow) are as follows:
- Course ID (required before giving a grade) - generally pre-entered, but may entered by clicking a light-yellow course description from the list at left.
- Letter Grade - choose from the pop-up list (different subjects require different grading systems - e.g. A, E, Pass).
- Narrative - this large field is for comment on the individual student.
- Narrative Phrases - an orange list-box above the narrative area where you can record phrases which you use frequently - e.g: review vocab every night. Option-click to edit your phrases, Click to place a phrase in the narrative.
- Course blurb - Click the orange box with purple text above the narrative to edit the blurb for the course assigned to this PR/Term.
- Final Grade Override (final term only) - this yellow-striped field allows you to override the mathematically-derived final grade. Note that the 'auto-average' disregards 'Pass' grades (unless all terms are 'pass'), produces no average unless the final term's Grade is entered or if Fail, Inc, or NI are present.
Continue by clicking a small blue arrow at the upper left of the screen (to go to next / previous PR - as previously sorted), or use any of the buttons at the top of the screen.
(For additional On-screen Help, click the question mark at the top of any Edit Term screen - if you still need help, see Marion or David.)
Proofreading - Admin team can edit any term of any PR. Use a gold 'Proofread' button to edit the entire found set.
IMPORTANT - when done with the session, click on a green DATA MENU button, then click (near the top) on QUIT FILEMAKER or (to allow quicker access to the databases) CLOSE THESE DBs.